Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 1 -Thursday night

I somehow ended up with a "production van," a rental, so I could pick up some people in Fredericton. I couldn't find Denis Sweet on campus. When I did, I was afraid I'd be late so I did what I normally do with a rental car: speed. I later learned that Dale was an insane driver, and scared the crap out of crew when he travelled people to the craft (lunch) location. I think my passengers were a bit afraid, but I got them there in one piece and rolled in CAMP BLOOD SHED just before dusk. Perfect timing. There was also talk about the "ratty underwear scene," a week before production. Instead of running out, hell bent on blowing any trespasser's head off, I was suppose to run out in my underwear. I think I was given the underwear on the first night. However the piece the resistance was Reggie's pink tie dye shirt, made in triplicate, because, well... Reggie was going to go through Hell at certain times in the script. Film is never shot in story sequence, but rather divided into sections or scenes depending on availability of actors, locations, key crew, etc. It was also weather permitting as most of the scenes in Blood Shed happen outdoors. luckily no one pissed off the gnome gods and is was beautiful all weekend.



First scene: Reggie stands in front of a rifle as Louis threatens to kill him... whoa, whoa, what? Pierre had his game face on, but at the same time was VERY concerned about pointing a rifle at a human being. "This goes against ALL my life's training as a game hunter!" Pierre said out of character. This was the Pierre I know now: the caring father, the loving husband, the friend that has your back.



This reminds me of a story sort of unrelated to Blood Shed, but too funny not to share. We were at Paul Anger's house, at the "Ask Ug" wrap party. Pierre is cutting an ice cream cake with a huge knife. I missed the first part of the conversation, but I guess it was about kids and family. Pierre suddenly channeled Louis while wielding the knife in the air, yelling: "If ANYONE touches my daughter, son or wife, I'LL KILL THEM !!!!!" Pretty much the whole kitchen backed away three feet until he "acted" like he was coming out of a lunatic's trance, and said: "anyone want cake? It looks delicious!" He meant every word, just went over the top saying so. I do not envy the young man who has to face Pierre when he wants to have a date with his daughter in years yet passed. Of course he will let her go out, but not before scaring the Bejesus out of that kid.
INT. PIERRE'S LIVING ROOM -DAY
Pierre is sitting on the sofa, cleaning his gun. It's not loaded, but the boy doesn't know that.
PIERRE
"See that rifle, boy? I'm a pretty good shot... bring her home by 10pm... or else"
sorry I'm writing a script. It's a scene from every silly movie when the guy has to meet the girl's parents and the dad is a nut. Transpose that love and revenge factor towards your MAMA, and you have LOUIS!

Where was I? Oh. Reggie staring down the barrel of a rifle. And poor Reggie, drunk and high, is suppose to dismiss the claim Louis would shoot him: "Why would you go do that for?" Then Louis snaps out of it and "shoots the moon". the first night was a light schedule and Reggie got to improvise. Reggie is wearing a plastic Viking hat, and has beer. (not real beer... yet) Well damn what comes to mind when you're wearing a Viking hat and you have beer? BEER HAT! I poured the beer in the hat and drank it. Well not really, I mostly poured it on my chin and wore the rest on my head! The crew got a good laugh the first take, but from then on when Louis shot at the moon, Reggie drank like a Viking plunderer. It was then I felt in character, I got the essence of Reggie. Let's wrap it up and drink real beer... well for the set. honestly. Cast and crew were encouraged to drink beer and litter the front lawn, light a campfire and be careful not to crush empties as you stagger to your tent. CAMP BLOOD SHED is being designed with an amazing end of day drinkfest. CAREFUL: HOT SET!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood Shed

Blood Shed